Showing posts with label Lumka Oliphant. Show all posts
Showing posts with label Lumka Oliphant. Show all posts
Thursday, February 8, 2018
eNCA star reporter Karyn Maughan, who gave viewers a courtside insider's view on court and crime news, resigns.
eNCA's star reporter Karyn Maughan is leaving South Africa's most watched 24-hour TV news channel TVwithThinus can reveal.
Karyn Maughan's exit from eNCA comes as a big blow to the channel, once again losing an extremely experienced reporter exiting its Hyde Park studio doors from where she gave viewers an unvarnished ringside seat to the country's court, crime and corruption dramas playing out in the news.
Sources revealed to me that eNCA's court coverer has had enough and is leaving the channel soon. No word yet from the few newserati who knew - and who are in shock - as to the precise reasons why.
Also not yet known: where exactly Karen Maughan is jumping to next.
TVwithThinus asked e.tv and eNCA who confirms that Karyn Maughan is leaving the news channel and says in a statement eNCA is sad to see her go.
"eNCA is sad to lose Karyn Maughan as a full time staff member," says eNCA in a statement in response to a media enquiry.
"Karyn has been a dedicated, astute and professional journalist covering some of the biggest news stories for eNCA over the past 8 years, including the Oscar Pistorius trial. However we are pleased to say that our relationship with Karyn will continue, with her appearing on-air in various capacities".
Karyn Maughan joined eNCA in 2010 and established herself as tenacious member of the elite front guard of South Africa's "must follow" reporters who are willing to take on and decimate the trash pack of feeble publicists, moron ministers and blocking spokespeople who stand in the way of the public getting answers.
Karyn Maughan's indefatigable courtside coverage bringing viewers all the lurid details both inside and outside of the Oscar Pistorius court trial cemented her place as a household name as far South Africa's small crop of famous TV news reporters go.
Since then the take-no-prisoners TV dragon slayer found, and successfully slayed, a new crop of trash TV characters who dared to sidestep and try and evade her piercing questions, for instance the department of social development's belligerent and clueless publicist Lumka Oliphant.
Karyn Maughan hasn't been scared to sit as close as possible to the front at press briefings - often seen taking her seat in the front row to clobber whoever is designated to face the press, with her piercing questions.
Besides reporting, Karyn Maughan has also appeared more on eNCA on weekdays as well as weekends from early morning to prime time as a commentator the last 2 years, roped in to weigh in and to unpack and give more insight on high profile court and crime cases as well as government corruption stories.
Thursday, January 18, 2018
PAY FOR PLAY. Horrific lapse of SABC's editorial policy as broadcaster admits payment for Real Talk with Anele Mdoda on SABC3 to do a 2 hour interview with minister Bathabile Mdoda.
A shocking pay for play scandal has engulfed talk show host Anele Mdoda, her talk show Real Talk with Anele produced by Cheeky Media, the SABC and SABC3; as well as the minister of social development Bathabile Dlamini, following revelations that the government department she is supposed to run, paid thousands of rand for Bathabile Dlamini to be interviewed for two hour long episodes on the SABC.
The report from Daily Maverick exposed a horrific lapse of SABC editorial control and safeguards, standards and ethics, as well as at the production company and talk show host whose face and name is the brand of the show.
ALSO READ: After pay-for-play scandal, here what Anele Mdoda needs to do right now to save her show.
Neither Real Talk with Anele, nor the SABC or SABC3 ever told viewers that the 2 hour softball interview broadcast in December - and repeated - is paid-for content and essentially a talkfomercial instead of an honest and legitimate interview.
The shocking revelations are destroying the credibility and inflicting seriously reputational damage on the image, credibility and brands of Anele Mdoda, the SABC, its SABC3 channel, as well as the Cheeky Media production company.
Viewers no longer know what exactly, and to what degree they can trust Real Talk with Anele or anything - or anyone - that appears on that show.
Lumka Oliphant, publicist for Bathabile Dlamini who also appeared on Real Talk with Anele during the paid-for interviews, told the Daily Maverick that the department is allowed to pay for interviews with the press with public funds supposed to help the old, frail and poor, for Bathabile Dlamini to get media exposure.
Lumka Oliphant initially denied the claim of a R500 000 payment for Bathabile Dlamini to be interviewed on Real Talk with Anele and said "The reports, which are completely untrue, are a display of gutter journalism to destroy anyone who dares to give a different narrative on minister Bathabile Dlamini."
TVwithThinus made a media enquiry on Wednesday to the SABC regarding the payment of R500 000 by a politician to be interviewed for 2 hours on the South African public broadcaster without the fact being disclosed and told to viewers.
The SABC was also asked for comment about the show in light of what the SABC's editorial policy says and the stipulations of the broadcasting regulator, the Independent Communications Authority of South Africa (Icasa).
When the SABC responds with answers to the media enquiry, this report will update with it.
Real Talk with Anele and Cheeky Media, and the SABC, are in breach of the SABC's own editorial policy that clearly states that "where there is programme sponsorship, the sponsor's association with the programme has to be stated clearly, both before and after the programme".
They are also in breach of the SABC's editorial policy in terms of "information programming" that states that the SABC should "disclose all the essential facts and not suppress relevant, available facts".
Likewise infomercials and paid-for content in programmes on the SABC "must be labelled in such a way as to make clear that they are not programme material" the SABC's editorial policy states.
Meanwhile the SABC acting CEO Nomsa Philiso admitted that payment took place for a politician to be interviewed on the SABC and told News24 that it was "not normal" for the SABC to sell interviews, saying "there was payment, from what my team tells me".
Yusuf Stevens and Janez Vermeiren are both listed and carry executive producer credits on Real Talk with Anele.
Yusuf Stevens, Real Talk with Anele executive producer, told News24 that it is not uncommon for people to pay for exposure on Real Talk with Anele and that reportedly "mostly brands pay to be on the show".
Yusuf Stevens said that it is handled by the SABC’s sales representatives who also determine the rate. "We still control the interview, do the research and make it interesting to the viewers. Nobody interferes with our scriptwriting or research process."
Yusuf Stevens has so far not said why Cheeky Media and SABC3 didn't disclose to viewers and told them that Anele Mdoda did paid-for interviews and that viewers are watching a paid-for 2 hours.
Also not explained yet is what other episodes and segments are actually promotional, paid-for content, and how payment impacts how brands, people and services are being featured on Real Talk with Anele or not.
Refilwe Moiloa at Cheeky Media in response to a media enquiry asking who is speaking on behalf of the show and who can answer questions pertaining to what happened and how it happened, said Cheeky Media won't be talking and referred all media enquiries to SABC spokesperson Kaizer Kganyago.
Anele Mdoda whose name is carried on Real Talk with Anele and who is the face and brand of the show claimed that she knew nothing of the R500 000 payment and that "it is commissioned by the SABC. I am the presenter. I have nothing to do with them".
"For them to insinuate I took money [to do the interview] is ludicrous. I have no dealings with what happens with the Department of Social Development or the SABC. I get a directive of who they would like on the show and that is who we research."
Anele Mdoda also lashed out at the Daily Maverick, using her social media account on Twitter to slam the report, saying "Understanding how TV works would be the first step here. Keep my name out your damn rubbish".
The Democratic Alliance (DA) political party in a statement said Bathabile Dlamini must pay back the R500 000 that "could have paid more than 300 social grants. It is shocking that the department had the audacity to supposedly use public money for an interview".
"It is mandated to serve the poor, needy and vulnerable within our society, it is not mandated to use taxpayers' money to make floundering ministers look good." The DA said it would submit a range of parliamentary questions to "get to the bottom of this likely abuse of taxpayers' money".
Friday, August 18, 2017
Journalists should walk out of late-starting press conferences more often, says South African National Editors' Forum.
South African journalists who are kept waiting for hours for press conferences to start without any updates and advisories as to why there's delays should stage walk-outs more often in protest against the growing culture of "media should hurry-up-and-wait" in the country.
This calls comes from The South African National Editors' Forum (Sanef) and follows after South Africa's minister of social development Bathabile Dlamini kept reporters waiting for more than two hours on Thursday after which they all - except the SABC - all decided to stage a walk out and leave.
Earlier on Thursday, the infamously caustic publicist Lumka Oliphant, according to reports, hilariously had the audacity to tell the camera crews of eNCA (DStv 403) and SABC News (DStv 404) that they are allegedly not allowed to stand in front of the tables where officia for social development from various provinces would be sitting.
After camera crews moved, they were kept waiting for longer.
Lumka Oliphant later in the day in a radio interview, giving no clear explanations for why her boss Bathabile Dlamini was late and why the media were not kept up to date and told what's happening, had the audacity of accusing the media of "disrespect".
Mahlatse Gallens, Sanef chairperson said that South African journalists should stage walk-outs more often because a culture of "hurry-up-and-wait" has started to permeate in press briefings.
"It's the journalists' right to walk out. From what we understand, they were there for two hours and there was no explanation given as to why there are delays."
"They arrived and there was no-one there to explain to them when the minister would arrive. They were well within their rights."
Within South Africa's broadcasting industry the struggling South African public broadcaster has become notorious for issuing alerts for press conferences at short notice and then starting late - the lone exception under South African TV channels when it comes to late-starting pressers.
Several SABC press briefings in 2016 and 2017 started very late after the supposed stated time that reporters have been summoned to be at the SABC.
The result has been a noticeable drop-off in the number of journalists attending the SABC's hastily-arranged press briefings, since they also have other deadlines and stories to cover.
Late starting SABC press briefings have also created havoc for TV news channels who wanted to broadcast SABC press briefings live but struggle to plan due to distrust that SABC press briefing will start at the times given.
Subscribe to:
Posts (Atom)