Thursday, October 8, 2026

Shocking MultiChoice Subscriber Mismanagement as Legacy Showmax and DStv Customers Suddenly Have Subscriptions Hiked From R99 to Thousands After Canal+ Package Changes


by Thinus Ferreira

In shocking and callous DStv customer mismanagement by MultiChoice and Canal+, legacy subscribers have suddenly seen their monthly fees skyrocket from R99 to thousands - with MultiChoice adding insult to injury by making it as difficult as possible - if not impossible - to provide help to get it fixed.

After Canal+ dumped MultiChoice's Showmax streamer, Showmax-only subscribers were offered a 12-month option for R99 per month to get DStv Stream - on the condition that they do not disconnect.

Suddenly, after Canal+ and MultiChoice changed the packaging structure of its DStv bouquets, these subscribers are getting bill shock, in some cases totalling thousands of rands, as MultiChoice haphazardly and out of control moved subscribers to things they don't want and haven't signed up for.

As bad as the errors is Canal+'s MultiChoice in actually properly addressing it and helping customers who are reaching out to the media in desperation, and venting publicly after they can't get any help from the pay-TV service's supposed "customer service".

A customer vented publicly, saying "I took up the R99 price lock offer for DStv Stream. But now when I try to make a payment it requires R389. That's not what I signed up for and the 1 year is not up."

"They're billing me R800 and I also subscribed to the promotion," said another DStv subscriber, while yet another added: "Please explain to me how I subscribed to your R99 promotion for a year after you took over Showmax, then today I woke to a bill of R389.32, including a Stream Sport subscription that I know nothing about? That I can't even dispute? Why?"

Even worse: When these subscribers call MultiChoice, aggressive agents tell them they are wrong, need to pay and can't help.

"DStv consultants are saying the promotion has been discontinued," noted an angry subscriber - which can't be true because MultiChoice isn't allowed to renege on a price-lock contract.

A DStv subscriber who was on a DStv Compact promotion of R100 per month, woke up to see MultiChoice having moved him to the Sports package costing hundreds of rands more - with no explanation.

"My R100 promotional subscription disappeared. What on earth is going on here? When I call the MultiChoice call centre, nobody can assist," he says.

Tonderai Majuru says "Not only does it say I should pay R1 148 but you unilaterally cancelled my DStv Compact subscription, gave me a Sports subscription and hiked my account".

TVwithThinus sent MultiChoice a media query with several questions about the problem.

In response, MultiChoice issued a statement, saying "The R99 offer for eligible former Showmax customers is still in place, with customers being moved to the new DStv Sports package at the same price and on the same terms."

"Some customers experienced issues during the migration, which have since been addressed. If any customers are still experiencing issues with the offer, we encourage them to contact DStv customer care for assistance."

MultiChoice was asked specifically that DStv customers are saying that they've tried to fix the shocking DStv billing problems and got no help and was asked where exactly these concerned customers sort this out and who do they need to speak to or call and for specific details.

MultiChoice says customers can do a Whatsapp chat. Besides that DStv customers can also do an inbound call, or live chat on the DStv website. "All of this is on our website under the Contact us tab".

MultiChoice says "customers who are experiencing this issue will all be assisted, our technical teams are working on it".