About This Site

Thursday, July 30, 2026

Oprah Winfrey shutters her South African school, will continue funding girls through scholarships


Thinus Ferreira

Oprah Winfrey is closing her girls' school in South Africa next year, 20 years after it opened in Henley-on-Klip, with the talk show-philanthropist returning to a bursary programme that she says will help more girls.

At the end of the 2027 academic year, the buildings and grounds of the Oprah Winfrey Leadership Academy for Girls (OWLAG) will be returned to the Gauteng Department of Education, in accordance with the original partnership agreement the talk show titan signed more than two decades ago with the South African government.

Every student currently enrolled at OWLAG will get to complete their education, with Winfrey promising "uninterrupted academic, financial and personal support". 


The start-up years of Winfrey's school were severely mired in controversy.

In late 2007, a female dormitory matron, Tiny Virginia Makopo, was arrested and charged with multiple counts of assault, indecent assault, and criminal injury. She was accused of physically and sexually abusing at least six students. 

In 2010, she was ultimately acquitted, with the magistrate ruling that the state failed to prove its case.

Winfrey expressed her extreme disappointment at the time and said, "We began this child molestation trial in July 2008. More than two years later, I am profoundly disappointed at the outcome of the trial. I will forever be proud of the nine girls who testified with the courage and conviction to be heard"

After that, the academy's first headmistress, Nomvuyo Mzamane, was suspended and later filed a defamation lawsuit against Winfrey for implying she had covered up the abuse. Winfrey settled the lawsuit out of court in 2010.

The early years also saw complaints from parents regarding strict visitation rules, and later in 2009, a separate scandal resulted in the expulsion of several students for bullying and sexual harassment of classmates.


Yet despite the rocky start, Winfrey remained extremely dedicated to the institution, personally and financially, and kept investing hundreds of millions of dollars to ensure its long-term success.

OWLAG overcame its scandal-start with over 1 000 girls who eventually passed matric, and Winfrey also paying for their further tertiary studies in South Africa and abroad.

Today, OWLAG alumnae are working as doctors, educators, engineers, entrepreneurs, artists, scientists and business leaders in South Africa and around the world.

Winfrey started her school after conversations with president Nelson Mandela, who implored her to open a school in South Africa after she had already been financially supporting schools and students in South Africa for a number of years.

In response to a media query, in a press statement, Winfrey says "The dream was never simply to build a school".

"It was to invest in the limitless potential of young women. That mission doesn't end with one campus. It continues in every girl whose future can be transformed through education. I'm excited that this next chapter will allow us to reach even more young women across South Africa and continue the promise that began more than 20 years ago."

Winfrey notes that OWLAG's "next chapter" is "rooted in the same belief that inspired its founding".

While Winfrey is shuttering her physical school after 20 years, she will continue to pay for the education of South African girls through an "expanded scholarship program that will provide educational opportunities for academically talented girls from communities across the country".

This scholarship programme will support young women at leading schools throughout South Africa, says Winfrey.

The Gauteng department of education says it will "ensure" OWLAG's "legacy of academic excellence, leadership development, and the creation of opportunities through education continues to benefit future generations of learners" when it takes over the property and residential campus.

Friday, July 10, 2026

Uzalo Caterer Zandile Blose Gunned Down Before Husband's Funeral


by Thinus Ferreira

The Uzalo caterer Zandile Blose was gunned down and killed this past Friday outside her house in KwaMashu in KwaZulu-Natal, preparing for her husband's funeral, according to reports. She was 44.

Zandile Blose's husband, Msizi Blose, died a week ago in a car crash in Mpumalanga.

Zandile Blose, who ran a catering and décor business, provided catering services for SABC1's Uzalo, produced by Stained Glass TV.

The couple leave behind three children, the youngest of whom is 14 and still in school.

South Africa's Disney+ subscribers will have to redownload the Disney+ app from September


by Thinus Ferreira

Disney+ subscribers in South Africa will have to redownload the Disney+ app from 9 September when Disney is relaunching its video streaming platform in the country, with enhanced functionality.

The existing Disney+ app in South Africa will remain functional until 12 October 2026. 

It's the first time that Disney+ requires the download and new install of the app for South African users since Disney+ launched in the country in May 2022.

The SABC has likewise required users to download and reinstall its SABC+ app twice already since it launched in 2022, in December 2023, and again in July 2024.

In an email to existing Disney+ subscribers in South Africa sent on Friday, Disney+ says, "On 9 September, we’ll be launching a brand-new Disney+ app that will replace your current app. Your subscription isn't changing. Enjoy the same great content but with new and improved features". 

The new version of the Disney+ app for South African users will provide smarter recommendations that get better the more customers watch, an enhanced ESPN viewing experience, as well as come with improved parental controls, including a dedicated "Junior Mode" for kids.

The new Disney+ app will also offer the ability to watch at home or while travelling internationally, although content and availability might vary according to regions and geo-locking of certain content depending on licensing agreements.

Disney+ in South Africa is also doing away with its Mobile plan, with existing subscribers on the Mobile plan who will be moved over to the Disney+ Basic plan when they start using the new app.

The Mobile plan will no longer be available to new customers with the launch of the new app, but Disney+ Basic subscribers will be able to stream on more devices, including TVs, and at the same price.

It's not yet known if, and how, the Disney+ app change affects the Disney+ native TV app on connected and smart TV sets like Samsung, Hisense and others in South Africa. 

Disney+ isn't changing any subscription fees for South Africa with the redownload and reinstall process of the new Disney+ app.

According to Disney, until the new app launches on 9 September, customers do not need to do anything.

Disney says it will send out further information and communication before and on the day of launch on 9 September for customers to download the new app.

Subscribers will be able to sign in using their existing account details, set up profiles and can start watching, and the current app will remain available on most devices before being retired on 12 October 2026.

Disney says watch history won't be available in the new app. Disney will continue to communicate with subscribers by SMS and email, and from 9 September through email.

Wednesday, July 8, 2026

NFVF council member Nondumiso Madlala appointed latest acting NFVF CEO at SA's troubled film agency


by Thinus Ferreira

The destabilised and struggling National Film and Video Foundation (NFVF), has appointed its council member Nondumiso Madlala as the latest acting CEO of the beleaguered South African film agency.

The latest appointment of an acting NFVF CEO comes while NFVF whistleblowers have accused Nondumiso Madlala of allegedly "protecting" the previous acting NFVF CEO Onke Dumiso, who was recently suspended.

Nondumiso Madlala is the 7th person to be placed in the NFVF's CEO chair over the past three years since 2023.

The NFVF has appointed Nondumiso Madlala as acting NFVF CEO, although serious allegations have been raised against her as well by insiders.

The problem-filled film body's council has also once again simply filled the NFVF CEO void by moving a council member, tasked with oversight of the body, into what is an executive role and position.

Nondumiso Madlala replaces Onke Dumiso who was suspended last month pending an internal review. The NFVF has been without even an acting CEO for the past few weeks, with department heads left to run divisions.

In an internal letter on Tuesday 7 July that TVwithThinus has seen, NFVF council chairperson Leon van Nierop writes that Nondumiso Madlala "has officially assumed the role of acting CEO with immediate effect".

Once again, as with the suspension of Onke Dumeko - who is still listed on the NFVF website as acting CEO - neither South Africa's film and TV industry nor the broader public has been told about Nondumiso Madlala's appointment through any press release or NFVF statement.

According to Leon van Nierop, Nondumiso Madlala "joins the executive management team with a wealth of strategic leadership experience and a deep, historical understanding of our organisation's vision, values, and operational mandates through their previous years of being with the NFVF and her stellar service on the council."

"To ensure absolute governance integrity, transparency, and compliance with best corporate practices during this interim period, Nondumiso Madlala has stepped down from all council duties and oversight committees."

"The council requests that all staff members extend their characteristic professionalism, warmth, and full cooperation to Nondumiso Madlala during this transitional phase," the memo reads.

Whistleblowers, in a recent letter sent to the NFVF as well as the NFVF council, parliament's portfolio committee on arts, culture and sport, as well as to minister Gayton McKenzie, serious allegations have been made about alleged governance, procurement, as well as administrative irregularities at the NFVF.

Insiders detail numerous problems inside the NFVF and have asked for urgent parliamentary oversight and an independent investigation as they fear victimisation, alleging a workplace inside the NFVF "characterised by intimidation and bullying".

In another serious allegation, the whistleblowers have asked the parliamentary committee to urgently investigate whether any actual or perceived conflicts of interest may have "compromised governance processes relating to senior leadership oversight, particularly Onke Dumeko's protection by two particular council members: Mthokozisi Radebe and Nondumiso Madlala".

NFVF employees are also concerned about what they claim to be "significant expenditure on legal services over the past two financial years" as well as the NFVF's CEO recruitment process.

Whistleblowers have asked for an "independent forensic investigation into the allegations", for parliament to "ensure that neither the current NFVF council nor officials who may be implicated participate in directing or influencing the investigation" and that the investigation "review all procurement processes for compliance with applicable legislation".

The investigation should also "examine legal expenditure incurred over the past two financial years, investigate governance concerns relating to PESP funding and the implementation of internal audit recommendations", and "recommend appropriate disciplinary, civil or criminal action where evidence supports such action".