A new 4-part miniseries, Mandela: Long Walk to Freedom, from VideoVision producer and filmmaker Anant Singh is forming part of M-Net and MultiChoice's Mandela 100 pop-up channel that will be running on DStv channel 199 from 18 to 22 July.
Mandela: Long Walk to Freedom has been put together using left-over footage shot for the Mandela: Long Walk to Freedom 2013 British South African film that was filmed in South Africa with Idris Alba.
The Mandela: Long Walk To Freedom miniseries produced by Anant Singh stars Idris Elba, Naomie Harris, Terry Pheto, Tony Kgoroge, Riaad Moosa, Lindiwe Matshikiza, Atandwa Kani, Jamie Bartlett and Deon Lotz and gives a more detailed, comprehensive and more nuanced perspective than the film.
"During the production, we shot an enormous amount of footage that was not used in the feature film and decided to create the mini-series," says Anant Singh.
"We are very pleased that this enables us to tell the complete Madiba story as it includes scenes of his childhood in the Transkei; being sent to live with the Tembu Regent, Jongintaba; his move to Johannesburg and experiencing the vibrance of Sophiatown and its destruction, and his internship with the Johannesburg law firm, Witkin, Sidelsky and Eidelman and many other watershed moments in his life."
"We are thrilled to share our vision of a 4-part miniseries of Madiba's journey with South African audiences as we celebrate his 100th birthday."
Besides the new 4-part miniseries, Anant Singh also produced a "Mandela documentary collection" that will also be broadcast on the Mandela 100 channel on DStv, and include Beyond Long Walk To Freedom, Countdown To Freedom, Prisoners Of Hope, A Hero For All, Viva Madiba as well as the film produced specifically to commemorate what would have been Nelson Mandela's 100th birthday, Celebrating Mandela One Hundred.
This special documentary collection covers the period shortly before South Africa's first democratic elections to Nelson Mandela's passing in December 2013. The various documentaries look at:
- Countdown To Freedom: This documents the first free election in South Africa with exclusive access to Nelson Mandela as he took the final steps on his walk from prisoner to president.
- Prisoners Of Hope: This charts the reunion on Robben Island of 1 250 of its former political prisoners led by President Mandela.
- A Hero For All: This tracks the activities of Mandela from the run-up to South Africa’s first democratic elections and throughout his presidency.
- Viva Madiba: This is the story of a rich life, a record of comradeship, and a new glimpse into historical and personal facets of this great man’s rise from an anonymous child to a world icon and celebrating the man who shaped the destiny of a nation.
- Beyond Long Walk To Freedom: This fascinating five-part series examines the history and issues behind Nelson Mandela’s Long Walk To Freedom through the use of original interviews with Mandela and the people who knew him well.
- Celebrating Mandela One Hundred, traces Mandela’s life from his roots in the rural village of Mveso, to becoming one of the greatest statesmen the world has seen. The film goes beyond the political and into the personal, and features exclusive interviews with family members, close friends, comrades, politicians and international celebrities.
"I am fortunate to have had unprecedented access to events with Madiba after his release from prison, and to record historic events for posterity through the production of these films which remind us of Madiba’s legacy and his selfless leadership. We are delighted to have partnered with DStv to broadcast them as part of the Mandela centenary celebrations," says Anant Singh.
Yolisa Phahle, MultiChoice CEO for general entertainment says "This is a very special 5-day pop-up channel to honour and celebrate the extraordinary life and legacy of the global icon Nelson Mandela; a man whose life-long commitment to justice and freedom shaped the world. We pride ourselves in only acquiring the very best content and couldn’t have asked for a better line-up".