Monday, April 9, 2018

INTERVIEW. Frank Opperman says farewell to Dancing with the Stars SA: 'I hated it as well but it was the most wonderful experience one could have'.


On Sunday night South Africa's Outboet, Frank Opperman, became the 8th celebrity contestant to be voted out of Dancing with the Stars SA on M-Net (DStv 101), saying he simultaneously hated and loved the show that was physically grueling but also the "most wonderful experience that one could have".

TVwithThinus spoke with Frank Opperman, who was paired with the professional dancer Jeanné Swart during the show, as he shared about "dancing with divas" - in a good way, giving up smoking, drinking and even elevator rides, how early on he actually contemplated leaving the show, and how he maybe could have worked harder but also couldn't.


Is there anything you think you could have done differently?
No, sjoe. No. I could have worked harder but I couldn't. I was too tired. Physically, jene, I've got a sore ankle this morning. Physically It was very hectic on my - the physical side of it was rather hectic for me. 


And what has the experience been like for you?
It was one of the most - I was thinking just now, it was better that a 10-step programme, that is how lekker it was to me. It was the most wonderful experience that one could have. I hated it as well but sjoe, it was a lekker challenge - to keep up with it. I'm very, very grateful to have been part of an outing like that. 


Can you talk a bit about the bond and trust between you and your dance partner?
My dance partner is Jeanné Swart and she put her life in my hands at times! What one was doing, it felt to me like little stunts, like in a movie scene. And I would lift and swing her around where the faith she would have had to have in me to do that was really amazing. She's a real hardcore dancing girl who would put her whole body on the line for us to get a nice move. And if you're going to miss, you're going to hurt somebody, so that was very interesting.


How do you feel about being voted out?
I was relieved, sjoe, it's really hectic. And I know those other kids dance so beautifully. And I was just exhausted. I thought it's too much dancing now, I couldn't keep up. To me, early in Dancing with the Stars SA I wanted to duck and dive and then it started getting into your blood and then you try harder, but sjoe, no, I was exhausted. And it was long days. Those youngsters work up to 14 hours a day and that shows why they get to dance like divas! So it's really, really hard work to physically crack that. 


What do you think of the judges?
Ag, excellent people. Everybody should go and have a look at Bryan Watson on the internet on YouTube - Bryan Watson and it's called a jive, him and his partner. You will see he was for 9 years the reigning world champion. You must watch what that goes does, man. They were amazing people, I had a fun time with them.


What was the hardest for you?
The hardest thing about it was the time, the physical thing, and jene, to go and stand and dance in front of people and you know Dancing with the Stars SA on M-Net is live - there's no take number 2 here. And if you're going to let somebody slip, jene, jy kan jou naam lekker gat maak. You know, that kind of pressure to it, definitely was so hard. You can make your name big gat. And I'm just so fortunate that I left there without making my name too gat, because dancing is a hectic thing. I've got a lot of respect for people that can do that.


How did your body change?
I lost 7kg. I'm so supple at the moment. I haven't taken an elevator or something for like 3 months, and I haven't smoked. And I haven't been drinking and everything, so jene, I'm in tip-top shape besides from a little bit of an ankle this morning and that's from trying to do a Charleston where you have to swing your foot in and out. But it's all good, you know.


What did you not expect about this journey?
Oef. Actually the whole thing, you know. The whole thing was a surprise to me. I was kind of asked nicely to be in it, and in a moment of madness, I said "Okay, I'll do this". I thought "Ag, go change your start of my year". It's been the same for 15 years. I start with an arts festival and do a show. And this year I started off without having to learn lines or anything, all I had to do is move my body around. It was an experience and a half!


What did you learn about yourself?
 I'm amazed at the body and how muscle memory works. It's one of those things where you can't go and learn a manual. You've got to do it physically. It's like playing a guitar or somebody that does something - you've got to go and actually practise this thing physically, you can't read a manual. 
I thought, "Wow, I impressed myself being able to do this".