Monday, June 12, 2017

CNN dumps Reza Aslan and the second season of his Believer on CNN International after he calls Donald Trump 'a piece of sh*t'.


CNN has dumped Reza Aslan and its already announced plans for a second season of Believer on CNN International (DStv 401) with the presenter after he called the American president Donald Trump "a piece of sh*t".

Production on the second season of Believer was already in production, with CNN that announced a second season to advertisers a few weeks ago.

"CNN has decided to not move forward with production on the acquired series Believer with Reza Aslan," says CNN in a statement. "We wish Reza and his production team all the best."

CNN dumped Reza Aslan shortly after getting rid of comedian Kathy Griffin from its annual New Years celebration coverage broadcast on CNN and CNN International after she held up a bloodied, plastic decapitated head of Donald Trump in a controversial photo shoot.

Reza Aslan in a statement says "obviously I am very disappointed in this decision. Believer means a great deal to me and to the countless viewers it's reached."

Reza Aslan ironically says in his statement that Believer on CNN International carries a message of religious tolerance, but doesn't realise that he himself showed a lack of tolerance for someone else.

"Its message of religious tolerance and exploration is extremely important right now. I am deeply grateful to CNN for giving me the opportunity to launch the show and to amplify my voice on their network."

"I am especially grateful to the legion of people within the Turner organization who worked so hard to make the show a hit series. However, in these politically charged times, the tenor of our nation's discourse has become complicated, and I recognize that CNN needs to protect its brand as an unbiased news outlet."

"Similarly, I need to honor my voice. I am not a journalist. I am a social commentator and scholar. And so I agree with CNN that it is best that we part ways. I look forward to partnering with another platform in the future to continue to spread my message. I wish CNN all the best."