Thursday, May 19, 2016

SABC reporter Pimani Baloyi survives hijacking attempt while covering violent Vumani protests in Limpopo as two shots fired at her car.

The SABC's SABC News reporter Pimani Baloyi has survived being shot at last Thursday morning while she was covering the ongoing violent protests and vandalism in Vumani in the Limpopo province.

Pimani Baloyi's car was shot at, with a bullet damaging the bonnet of the vehicle and also blowing out one of the tyres.

The attempted car hijacking took place when the two shots were fired on the car as she drove over a bridge between Rotterdam and Olifantshoek villages in Limpopo on Thursday.

"When I got to the bridge, I saw men wearing balaclavas," she told SABC News.

"So I quickly put the car into reverse gear. And when I looked on the side, two other men came out of the bush and one of them was carrying a gun. I quickly pressed on my accelerator. I went uphill in reverse."

"When they saw that I was running, they ran after me and fired two shots," said Pimani Baloyi.