Tuesday, March 10, 2015

Today's interesting TV stories to read from TVwithThinus - 10 March 2015


Sometimes, yes, even a turtle is faster that TV with Thinus.

At the beginning of 2015, starting in January, I wanted to introduce a new feature of aggregating some of the most interesting print articles about TV from everywhere to bring that to readers as well.

If there's one thing I do more than watching actual television, its reading.

I read widely about a lot of subjects and topics, but of course I always read almost every single TV article - irrespective of where and by whom it's published.

So. I can't promise that it will happen every day, but hopefully, mostly, depending on how I find the time to actually do it.

I promise that TV with Thinus won't change and become a hollow echo chamber of rehashing and hot linking stories from elsewhere; that, even though I'm often tired and frustrated and out of time that I will continue to bring you as much of the original content and hopefully credible TV coverage as I can type out in a given day.

Part of an editor's job is to curate content, and what I will do from now on is to actually give you links to the news and perspective articles I've read and that I am reading - the stuff I'm myself reading very late at night, and very early and continuously as news breaks.

I can't of course vouch for the veracity and accuracy of every article, but I will and can promise this: Every article I link to, I will have read myself. Every article I link to I thought good, or thought-provoking or interesting, and above all worth your time reading.

Hopefully it will help you, the reader interested in television as a viewer and about the TV business, with better insight, greater understanding, and eventually better television and more accountability from those who make it, for all of us.

thinus ferreira


The construction of MultiChoice's new MultiChoice City is upsetting a resident
Construction site of the new mega headquarters in Randburg blamed for damage to residential property.

Inside Vladimir Putin's on-air media machine
TIME magazine goes inside and behind the scenes at RT (DStv 407) - the Russian government's main weapon in an intensifying information war with the West.

How E! Entertainment (DStv 124) failed Giuliana Rancic
E! has done nothing to help the E! News anchor during and after her Zendaya hair scandal.

Fresh off the boat? How about a seat on the bus?
ABC in America doesn't invite a single Asian American blogger or TV critic for its Fresh Off the Boat press junket.

How P.R. is killing journalism
Journalism professor explains why its a problem - even if you're not a journalist.

The spin-off of The Walking Dead on FOX will last at least 2 years
- The new zombie drama spin-off will be set in Los Angeles.
- Interestingly, The new spin-off, because it comes from AMC - which is now its own TV channel in South Africa, might possibly be seen on AMC on DStv and StarSat and not on FOX anymore.

Good Work is coming to E! Entertainment (DStv 124) soon
The new Fashion Police spin-off with RuPaul will focus on Hollywood's plastic surgery.

Trade federation Cosatu's fat cats might have to let go of their expensive DStv
Spends R52 341 to get DStv but might have to downgrade to a lower DStv package.

M-Net readying a new AfricaMagic Igbo TV channel for DStv
Bloomberg reports that yet another new AfricaMagic TV channel is in the works from M-Net for MultiChoice's channel-line-up in Nigeria.

Noluthando Meje will be the presenter of The Sing-Off SA on SABC1
The Isidingo actress will record links and do interviews when the auditions start.

MultiChoice is investing R134 million in building new East African headquarters
MultiChoice and M-Net's new 4-storey East African headquarters will be built in Lavington, Kenya and be ready by October 2016.

High Court dismiss interdict to force Parliamentary TV Service (DStv 412) to show wide-angles
South African press and viewers are at the mercy of the "parliamentary broadcasting director" who chooses what the camera focuses on and shows - especially during parliamentary disruptions.