Sunday, November 24, 2013

Maria Bartiromo signs off on CNBC and CNBC Africa on her final day: 'It's very emotional. I've been crying all day.'


Maria Bartiromo signed off on Friday night South African time in her final Closing Bell show on CNBC and CNBC Africa (DStv 410) in a huge loss for the financial news channel as she gets ready to jump to competitor Fox Business News and Fox News Channel (StarSat 405), telling viewers "this is my last day on CNBC. It's very emotional. I've been crying all day".

"I am coming back you know," said Maria Bartiromo. "I'm not going that far. I'm going to be back. Soon."

Business Insider details the insider reasons as to why South African viewers will no longer see the "money Honey" on CNBC and CNBC Africa after 20 years.

According to Business Insider sources its because Maria Bartiromo is getting more money at Fox Business News and Fox News Channel which CNBC wasn't willing to match, because she is getting her own Sunday show on Fox News Channel increasing her visibility, and the chance to again build something at a new financial news channel.

Some of Maria Bartiromo's colleagues at CNBC weighed in at the end of news segments during Closing Bell.

"Maria, I have to say in addition to all the contributions you've made to CNBC, I will most remember everything you've done to improve financial literacy for all ages, for everybody, outside of CNBC on your own time. I know you'll continue to do and I really have to say, it's been such a pleasure to work with you," said Sharon Epperson.

"I just want to say, it has been a privilege and a pleasure to be your colleague," said Bertha Coombs.

"Maria, good luck and we'll miss you," said Courtney Reagan.

"Maria, back to you for the last time, and best wishes," said Kayla Tausche.