Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Merlin cancelled, the fantasy youth drama will end after the conclusion of its 5th season.


The Adventures of Merlin, the BBC youth fantasy drama about the young wizard of the would-one-day-be-the-wizard of King Arthur's court, has been cancelled.

The Adventures of Merlin, also known as simply Merlin, which has been shown in South Africa on M-Net and Top One (TopTV 150) will conclude at the end of the current fifth season.

In a statement the production says the decision to end Merlin was made by the co-creators and the executive producers, Johnny Capps and Julian Murphy.

"We always felt the story of the legend was best told across five series, leading to a spectacular finale that draws on the best known elements of this much-loved story and brings to a conclusion the battle for Camelot."

"We'd like to thank the amazing cast and crew for their professionalism and dedication," they say in the statement, adding, "chiefly, our thanks go to Merlin's remarkable and loyal audience around the world for their enthusiasm for the characters and Camelot universe."

Below is statements from the Merlin cast:

Colin Morgan (Merlin): "From the beginning this was always going to be a five year journey that we embarked on and I think the show has run its natural course. The show has grown and grown each year and now we've arrived at its strongest point and we've achieved what we set out to do... I know this is the end, and I know this is goodbye, but thank you for being there on the journey with us because it has been a lot of fun!"

Bradley James (King Arthur): "The Merlin years have provided me with fond memories, great experiences and beloved friends and all the while we were supported by a devoted fan base who made the show a unique, surreal and special experience. My words won't do justice to the honour of being King Arthur so I shall just say that it has been an exceptional one and that knowing the show has been a part of so many people's lives, has been humbling."

Katie McGrath (Morgana): "I have always said the success of the show has stemmed from our audience being able to relate to the characters on different levels - being based on the universally loved Arthurian legend is only a tiny part of its success - it's a story about acceptance and growing up. The breathtaking finale of this series leaves you with no doubt that characters have been on their journeys and had their stories told - it's completely the right time to draw our telling of the story to a close."

Angel Coulby (Guinevere): "It has been a very special and memorable five years making Merlin. I feel extremely proud to have been part of such a brilliant show and such a great team. I think we've told the story we set out to tell, which ends with the fantastic two-part finale by the way! I believe the key to any successful show is making sure you leave people wanting more!"

Richard Wilson (Gaius): "Firstly, I would like to say that I'm extremely sad that Merlin has come to an end. Speaking as Gaius, I feel I have mentored the young wizard as far as I can - he is much smarter and greater than me now and I am simply exhausted."