Friday, September 3, 2010

INTERVIEW. Idols alum Graeme Watkins' advice for the Idols top 10: ''Think of what it is that you want to achieve with your performance.''

Cobus Bodenstein/M-Net

You're reading it here first.

The awesome Idols alum Graeme Watkins, now a bona fide local South African music star with his Graeme Watkins Project, rocked the stage Tuesday night during the Idols Results Show. This marked Graeme Watkins' first time back on the Idols stage since he made the top three last year in the fifth season of the popular M-Net reality show, and he debuted his new single Music Affair off of his upcoming album.

Not only did I ran into the uber cool and really funny guy behind the Idols set minutes before the show started, I also caught up with Graeme Watkins after the show where he was willing to answer a few questions and share some advice for this year's top ten Idols contestants.

What does Graeme Watkins call the contestants' ''trump card'' and ''ace in the flush''? How important is song choice? Why should the contestants believe in themselves and what factor in their performance does Graeme Watkins thinks contestants often underestimate? And how did he himself feel to find himself back on the Idols stage?

For my full interview with Graeme Watkins and when his album comes out, click on READ MORE below.



Hi Graeme, how did it feel to perform on the Idols stage and not having to worry about votes or whether you are going or staying?
I think despite the fact that I didn't have to worry about going home - even though I am going home (in-joke!) I was extremely anxious. There was a real anxiety. It all comes back to you. A flood of memories. All in all I really thoroughly enjoyed it and its a great platform. I'm in some ways very jealous of the newcomers, what the guys are going through, because it was a wonderful time in my life.

How does it feel different for you now being on the Idols stage, compared to the last time you were on?
I feel like I've grown up now. I feel like I did. I feel like I've grown up and I feel like I know my place and I don't have anybody to be fearful of except for myself and my own self doubts.

Looking back now with there being a new top ten contestants in Idols - going back a year to where they are now, on the brink of performing as the top ten, how did you feel then? Where are the contestants in their brain space? Advice for them?
Be true to yourself. Just remember that its not the be all and end all of your career. It's just the beginning of your career. And be kind to the media because they're your best friends. And sometimes they refer to you as as gollywogs and hedgehogs and so on - but in all seriousness, its about believing in yourself and knowing you're doing it for a reason. People have put you there for a reason, they believe in you, and therefore you should believe in yourself.


From Sunday's performance the top ten will be allowed to use musical instruments. Any advice on when they have to make the decision when or if they should use it what should be factoring into that decision?
They should use it more like a trump card, like an ace in a flush as opposed to just utilizing it the whole time and becoming comfortable with it and using it as a safety blanket. I think people often underestimate a performance that moves around. There is something visually and aesthetically appealing to that. If you're just standing with your guitar you are actually limited. Yet at the same time it gives you a different edge. Use it, but use it sparingly. Think of what it is that you want to achieve with your performance.

And regarding song choice?
Song choice is super important.  Even thought the viewing public does range quite a bit in age, stay away from the golden oldies and the reliables and the pub songs. Stay away from the pub songs. Try the new stuff out because it shows bravery and it shows courage. A lot of the guys in the top ten right now have proven that, particularly this week. I think the guys have made some really brave choices and I respect them for that.

And then when does the Graeme Watkins Project have their album out?
The album, we're looking for a late September release, God willing. All I can say is good things come to those who wait.